AirBnB is considering cryptocurrencies and tokenization features, according to an IPO filing submitted to the United States Securities Exchange Commission on Nov. 17.
- The company said that its “future success will depend on our ability to adapt to emerging technologies such as tokenization, cryptocurrencies and new authentication technologies”
- Blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies are one of the many technologies that the company mentioned as part of its bid to improve its service
- The filing goes on to say that the company would pour resources into emerging technologies, though it could not guarantee successful implementation
- AirBnB has some familiarity with the cryptocurrency market, having acquired the engineering team from crypto tipping service ChangeTip in 2016
- The company plans to raise $3 billion in the IPO, with its 3rd quarter earnings surprisingly turning a profit during a pandemic-stricken year