Ethereum’s 2.0 deposit contract reached its threshold value for 524,288 ETH on Nov. 23, ensuring that the beacon chain will launch on the originally intended date of Dec 1.
- Over 610,000 ETH has been deposited in the contract, which went live on Nov. 4; over 150,000 ETH was deposited in the last 24 hours
- Ethereum 2.0 itself will not launch on Dec. 1 — rather, it will be a beacon chain that runs alongside the current Ethereum network
- The minimum staking value was reached just hours before the deadline for the Dec. 1 launch date
- Messari founder Ryan Selkis said that he was always confident that the contract would receive the necessary contributions, and EthHub developer Eric Conner praised the milestone
- Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin, who made a $1.39 million contribution himself, assured investors that they could continue staking funds
- Ethereum 2.0 will bring scalability, performance and governance changes to the network in a phased manner across the next few years; Vitalik Buterin recently offered more insight into the roadmap in a Reddit AMA