CoinDesk reported on August 17 that Malta-based cryptocurrency exchange OKEx is considering delisting the Ethereum Classic (ETC) cryptocurrency, after the two recent attacks had resulted in a loss of funds on the exchange.
- OKEx CEO Jay Hao told CoinDesk that they are hesitant to delist ETC given its popularity, but also said that the network needed security improvements
- OKEx has among the highest trading volumes of ETC among all exchanges
- The exchange lost $5.6 million following the ETC 51% attacks which occurred in the first week of August
- Discussions following the ETC 51% attack centered around the need to switch to a different consensus mechanism
- Ethereum, meanwhile, is making its own transition to Proof-of-Stake, though it has hit hurdles